Maybe this explains it.

I was going to write something deeply introspective explaining why I’ve never really seen myself as someone who’s likely to have children, but I’ve just taken this little quiz to find out what book I am and, rather unexpectedly, it’s explained everything.

lolita

You’re Lolita!
by Vladimir Nabokov
Considered by most to be depraved and immoral, you are obsessed with
sex. What really tantalizes you is that which deviates from societal standards in every
way, though you admit that this probably isn’t the best and you’re not sure what causes
this desire. Nonetheless, you’ve done some pretty nefarious things in your life, and
probably gotten caught for them. The names have been changed, but the problems are real.
Please stay away from children.

Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.

That pretty much sums it up. Or not. Any questions?
(Oh and if you take the quiz, tell me what book you are please! After all, I’ve shown you mine.)

10 thoughts on “Maybe this explains it.

1. Vic

Ah, but this assumes that the testee is “Lolita” because in their heart of hearts they’re Humbert. Whereas I think that in “Lolita” you’re more likely to _be_ Lolita. In which case you should stick to children, and avoid dirty old men. 🙂
    I seem to be “Lolita” too, which just goes to show you… something.

2. Paul

“The Catcher in the Rye”, which is probably just as predictable as the two of you being “Lolita”. Though unfortunately the book-jacket isn’t quite as interesting.

3. Vic

Yes, Paul, all the while you think you’re rescuing those kiddies in the rye, whereas they are warned to stay away from you OR ELSE.

4. Natty

Have to say I agree with Vic’s line of reasoning regarding you and Lolita and Paul and Catcher in the Rye. 🙂
    I took this last week ago or so while blog surfing. And depending on the day I’m either “Alice in Wonderland” or “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.”
    Yeah that does seem to sum up my life these days.
    Though I always have a hard time with tests like those as they always give me questions in which BOTH answers are correct. Oh the dilema’s of life…

5. sparkle

I got “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” too.
    Although, I have to ask, why do you need to *explain* to anyone why you don’t see yourself as having children? Isn’t it enough that you don’t see yourself as having one/them?
    I ask because I’m nosy. And because I always did see myself as a mommy (when I wasn’t in a blue, pessimistic funk about my future anyway) and was perpetually justifying to myself why I didn’t have babies yet. Especially after C and I were married. Why did I have to explain it, you ask? Because I felt like there was something wrong with me.
    I hope you don’t feel like something is wrong with you because you don’t see yourself as a mother. Because nothing is – you’re awesome as you are. And if you ever think you might change your mind, come stay at my house for a couple of days before you frighten P 🙂
    Yes, I made that more serious than you intended!
    hugs,
    sparkle

6. Alex Birch

Well this is what it told me..and I guess from 6 questions its not a bad stab!! LOL
    You’re The Guns of August!
    by Barbara Tuchman
    Though you’re interested in war, what you really want to know is what
    causes war. You’re out to expose imperialism, militarism, and nationalism for what they
    really are. Nevertheless, you’re always living in the past and have a hard time dealing
    with what’s going on today. You’re also far more focused on Europe than anywhere else in
    the world. A fitting motto for you might be "Guns do kill, but so can
    diplomats."

7. Simon

Gosh, I’m “Ulysses” ! I suppose I’ve got to read it now.
    “Most people are convinced that you don’t make any sense, but compared to what else you could say, what you’re saying now makes tons of sense. What people do understand about you is your vulgarity, which has convinced people that you are at once brilliant and repugnant. Meanwhile you are content to wander around aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the city. What you see is vast, almost limitless, and brings you additional fame. When no one is looking, you dream of being a Greek folk hero.”
    This is rather closer to the truth than I would have expected, except for the bit about being a Greek folk hero, which hasn’t been true since I was about 10, and the fame thing.
    I agree with Vic about you and “Lolita”, and I’m frankly appalled that you would feel even the slightest need to explain your entirely logical choice not to become a breeder. Is this the same woman who once sent me the link to the ChildFree webring ?!
    A more sensible question surely is why anyone would choose a life of nappies, vomit, teenage resentment, bad music, worry and crippling financial burdens only to find that they have, whether by accident or design, inflicted such crippling psychological damage that their child hates them forever and stuffs them in a sub-standard nursing home as soon as legally possible, leaving them to live out the remainder of their days worrying about where it all went wrong. Not that I’m in any way cynical about parenting, you understand 😉